Burgh

New Abbey, KCB, NX985642

Element: S burgh

This is located just to the east of where Overtown and Nethertown are marked on the 1st edition six-inch OS. It may be that this was the name of the farm before it split into the two -towns. Scots burgh is ‘a town possessing special privileges conferred by royal charter and having a municipal corporation; a town which sends representatives to parliament’, which clearly isn’t the case here. Sense 3 for Older Scots burch is ‘an enclosed space’. This Burgh sits somewhere between the two.

Detail from Roy Military Survey of Scotland, 1747-55
Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland

This entry is still in draft and has yet to be proofed. There are links to the sources of historical forms of the name, where spellings can be checked.